Thursday 12 February 2015

Visual Narrative; Makeup Edits.


1920'S Doll: I was inspired by the 20's flapper's when I designed this makeup look. I wanted the small, cupid's bow lips and emphasis on wide, innocent looking eyes. When we were deciding on the wig, we wanted something choppy and youthful, so chose this red bob. This created a cross between flapper/ doll/ clown which I really liked, and thought was appropriate for the gothic toy shop theme myself and our group are currently focussing on.
I edited in the puppet strings and also made the eyes bigger, and the corners of the mouth smaller. 

Ventriloquist Doll: This is one of my favourite edits, as I love how the face looks like it's emerging from a wall of the characters own hair. Again, I wanted a doll-like expression, so focussed on making the eyes bigger, mouth smaller, and creating an overall wistful and innocent expression. Androgyny was also a large aspect of this look, as I used a male model to base a very feminine character on. By playing with gender/ swapping gender roles, there is room for a more open interpretation within the characterisations. 

Female Bluebeard: Overall a powerful and dark look. I really wanted to create an evil and twisted character, so edited in sharp, edgy facial features like the cheekbones and concentrated on making the mouth larger and pointier. I think the mouth is a very central feature within the 'baddies' of films, as they are often large or sharp. I think a big grin in the villains of stories can portray hunger, greed, or a misleading seductive expression. I wanted to add the tentacles as they matched the aesthetic of the character really well, and also metaphorically represented the long, slippery, manipulative arms of the character.

Forest Faun: A beautiful but dangerous look is what I wanted to create with this makeup design, as previously I wanted to emphasise the innocence, rather than perhaps the inner strength of a character. The makeup and colour palette convey a natural, earthy vibe but the dark eyes and strong body language present a more dominant and compelling character. 

Forest Faun 2: For the same previously presiding character, I wanted to see if I could create a opposite more submissive feel using the same makeup and model. This was achieved through lighting and using the liquify tool on the face to create a more forlorn and dejected mood. The silhouettes of hands where also edited in, as this would add to the controlling vibe being held over the figure. 

1 comment: