Thursday 24 November 2016

Character Concepts: Sketchbook

After a tutorial of looking through all the work I had so far, both myself and the tutor agreed that although I enjoy creating digital work, I should branch out and create a few of my final pieces using traditional media. The pencil sketches and watercolor had a lot more life and character to them, and the digital painting was making the design look too flat and lifeless.
Because of this, I've decided to draw the final three designs depicting the Hoopoe at the beginning, middle and end of the play by hand. This could be pencil, but I may also experiment with charcoal or paints too! However, if there's a character or scene that I feel would suit digital work better then I will still use Photoshop to complete this.
Below are a few photos I took from my sketchbook, showing a few of my favourite hand drawn drawn concepts, as well some designs for the characters of Euelpides and Pisthetairus; names now shortened to Yool and Ty, to make them easier to remember and pronounce. 


The Hoopoe: Beginning of the film

Developed mask designs for the Hoopoe. He uses this is keep himself from physically falling apart in an attempt to maintain dignity. It eventually does the opposite and just makes him appear more pathetic. 

Beginning and Middle sketches for the Hoopoe.

Developed designs for 'Yool' and 'Ty'. I considered what they may look like before and after eating the root and growing wings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment