Sunday 4 December 2016

Mask Prototyping (5)


After cutting out the pieces, I began hand sewing them together. However, I soon realised that this fabric requires more consideration than the craft foam did. Instead of sewing the panels together in whatever order I picked them up, I figured out that I should first sew the underneath chin layer to the inside of the cheek pieces, then the middle nose seam, then lastly the forehead section to finish off. This makes handling the material and creating a good shape a lot easier. Above shows how the panels didn't match up and became lop-sided if I didn't consider the order of the steps needed. The second image shows this mistake rectified. 


Pictured here is the current 'Second mask prototype'. I used very rough looking hand stitching, as I want it too look as if Epops himself used his rugged stumps to assemble this mask, therefore the stitching would be messy and uneven. I also used a variety of colour in the thread I used, as I wanted to see which I preferred most next the base tanned tone of the mask. Currently I prefer the black thread as it stands out a little more, and I plan on weathering all fabrics used in making this mask, including the thread. 

No comments:

Post a Comment