Monday 5 June 2017

Final photos of Prometheus model.



 A giant maquette used for stop motion, this was inspired by the large models Laika studios use in their films. They're known for large scale and incredible technology in the stop motion industry. I wanted it to look other worldy, immortal, godlike or spiritual so I chose to use mixed media; deciding on textures, patterns and shapes that could represent this.
My project became an exploration of unconventional materials, as well as experimentation of how to fully realise a character through different mediums.
Whilst creating this model, I let the fabrics fall naturally, and simply anchored them in place to achieve a better natural flow. Overall I wanted a swirled, shadowy kind of vibe; something you wanted to reach out and touch, or appeared like it was moving. To help this, I tried to suit the materials to where they sat on the model, as well as making an attempt to hide most of the seams to make it a little neater.
A visiting animator informed me of the professional use of chicken wire, which is what gave me the confidence to use chicken wire for the base of this model.
Overall I'm happy with how this has turned out; there were definitely moments it looked too messy or not professional enough, but as a finished model, I'm actually quite pleased with how it's come together at the end. In the photo above, you can also see the little maquette I made beforehand as a practise!

1 comment: